Buying A Domain Name Is A Must
Author : Nial Robbins
Submitted : 2009-02-07 11:40:41 Word Count : 555 Popularity: 150
Tags: free domain name, web hosting,
When thinking about starting an home based business website or an Internet business, you may be wondering why you should buy a domain name when there are "free" web hosting options available that come with a so called "free domain name" for your website. With a free domain name, you do not actually own the domain name. Instead, the free web hosting service "lends" you some space on its servers and "gives" you a URL that is an extension of its own domain name.
For example, if the free web host provider's domain name is tightwad.com, you may end up with a free URL that reads like this:
http://www.tightwad.webhosting.com or http://www.webhosting.com/tightwad .
So let's look at some of the reasons why it is a very good idea to invest some money in a good domain name for your website when you set up on the Internet.
1. Having your own domain name is a great way to brand your Internet business. Sure, a free web host provider will give you a web address, but that is merely an extension of the free web host provider's domain name. So, in effect you will be promoting your web host provider's business instead of your own.
2. Once you have bought a domain name it is yours to keep. With your own domain name, you can easily move your site to another web host provider if you are not satisfied with the service you are receiving. Your website visitors will not even know that you have changed web host provider. With a free domain name you will not be able to do that. Having your own domain name gives you much more control over your website. What happens if your free web host provider's business collapses? You will have no website and no domain name... So even if you quickly set up a new website, the domain name will have to be different and your existing customers will probably not be able to find you.
3. You may have to put up with many advertisements on your site. Some of which will be totally inappropriate to your site content. You may be required to place a banner at the top or bottom of your pages. Now do you really want to advertise a company that you might not endorse? Your free service is earning money off of your efforts and you're providing good customers without seeing one penny of those profits.
4. A free domain name does not look professional. Even if you spend a lot of time perfecting your home based business website, you will lose credibility from URL alone. The message you are sending is that you are not willing to spend money on a business that you expect your customers to invest in. Would you buy from a business like that? A free website URL makes you look both mean and unprofessional.
5. As your website grows and attracts more traffic, you will need more space than a free web service provides.
If you are serious about starting an Internet business, or want to build a highly trafficked home based business website, you will be doing yourself a much better service by buying the best possible domain name for your website. A free domain name can prove expensive.
Author's Resource Box
Nial Robbins is the owner http://www.NDR-HomeBiz.com, the site for the best home business opportunities, free home based business training and to earn money on line.
Submitted By ArticleUnited.com