7 Tips To Keep Your New Year Resolutions
Author : Sarah23 Lethbridge32
Submitted : 2009-12-19 01:29:50 Word Count : 874 Popularity: 52
Tags: new year, new year resolutions, resolutions, goal setting, goals, achieve goals, set goals
With New Year nearly upon us, there are many people out there getting ready to enthusiastically make their New Year Resolutions, with the hope that they will actually stick to them this year and make changes in their life for the better.
But 9 times out of 10, they will find that they cannot keep their resolutions and are back to their old life. Some people may be able to make their resolutions last for a whole week, or even a month or two, But most will slowly give up on their goals, with only a small percentage of people actually being able to keep resolutions to their satisfaction.
But it doesn't have to be this way. You CAN maintain your resolutions and accomplish your goals if you go about it the right way.
Here are seven tips to help you to keep your New Year resolutions this year.
1. Before making the resolution, think carefully about it and ask yourself whether you really want to do it, or whether you just think you "should" do it to keep someone else happy or because it is the done thing to do.
2. If your answer is "Yes, I really DO want to do it" then make a firm commitment that you will at all costs see to it that you achieve this goal.
A trick here is to think like you're the last person on earth and ask yourself the following question: "If I was the last person left alive and there was no one else left on earth to see me have or do this, would I still go to this much trouble to do so?"
If the answer is no, then chances are that your real motivation for this goal is most likely the attention, reaction or approval of others and not your own intrinsic needs, wants or desires. Use that understanding to make better decisions and to learn more about who you are and why you do what you do in the process.
3. Once you have made up your mind and committed to your resolutions, write them, down on a piece of paper and read them out aloud, at least five times, until your mind absorbs it fully.
4. Make a few copies of your resolutionsand stick them around your home where you will see them. One should be in your bedroom, where you can see it when you wake up.
5. Every day as you get up, just read the piece of paper with your resolutions. Read it at least 3 times every morning, and again before you go to bed at night.
6. Make sure you place other pieces of paper with your resolutions in your kitchen, living room, and on your computer. When you see the pieces of paper, they will be a mental trigger to yourself of the goals and resolutions you want to accomplish.
7. And at the end of the day, when you go to bed, remember to repeat your resolutionsat least three times, telling yourself that you are going to keep these resolutions, at any cost.
When you follow the above tips, you are much more likely to accomplish your resolutions in 2010.
Author's Resource Box
You can find out more about how to achieve all your goals and dreams by checking out these FREE goal setting tools and resources . Youll also find lots of free advice and tools on a range of self-improvement topics from success to people skills.